World Refugee Day
Hasta: Junio 20, 2011 - 12:30 pm
And Act commemorating World Refugee Day will take place at CINUP, inside building 128 of the City of Knowledge, this 20th of June at 10:00 a.m. The ceremony will consist of a video detailing the situation of Colombian women refugees, a testimony of a refugee in Panama, a presentation of paintings by another refugee, and opening and closing words by a representative of ACNUR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) and ONPAR.
The Event Itinerary goes as follows:
- Opening by Nathalie Karsenty, ACNUR Panama Representative
- Video “Maria Eugenia”, about the situation of displaced Colombian women
- Testimony of a Refugee in Panama
- Painting presentation by Refugee Julién Cardenal
- Closing words by Irvin Choy, Director of the National Office for Refugee Attention (ONPAR)
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Office (ACNUR in Spanish) was established on December 14, 1950 by the General Assembly of the United Nations. The Agency has the task of directing and coordinating international action to protect and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Their main objective is to safeguard the rights and the well-being of the refugees; that among the asylum seekers, internally displaced people, stateless people, returnees and refugees; reach the sum of more than 36 million people worldwide.