More than 40 Panamanian and foreign experts gathered at the City of Knowledge Convention Center, where they made important reflections on the Panamanian and Latin American reality during 2 days. The event was attended by international guests from Mexico, Switzerland, Cuba, Costa Rica, the United States, Uruguay and Argentina.
“The seminar: The questions of democracy, is important for CIEPS because it is its presentation as a national and international academic center. The reflections that were shared in this activity are relevant for Panama, Latin America and for political science. It is also important because, being held a few days before the May 5 elections, it provides inputs that will allow citizens to better decide and assess the causes and consequences of the votes they will deposit at the polls,” said Dr. Harry Brown Araúz, director of CIEPS.
The invited researchers are specialists in different fields of social sciences and focused their reflections on the following topics:
Policy and institutionality
– “Democracy in Panama. Institutionality and political actors ”
– “Political ecology: sustainability and environmental conflict in Panama”
– “Citizen security, justice and corruption”
Economy and society
– “Inequality, poverty and economic growth in Panama”
– “Public health and education”
– “Groups in a situation of discrimination: equity and rights”
The International Center of Political and Social Studies, has as its main mission to produce knowledge for the formulation of public policies and decision-making in the public and private sectors of Panama.