Panamanian Innovative Delegation visits Boston
The City of Knowledge Foundation, joined by a delegation of Panamanian government agencies such as the Deputy Minister of Foreign Trade (MICI), SENACYT, AIG, and local associations such as the Panamanian Chamber of Information Technologies and Telecommunications (CAPATEC), Venture Club and technology companies, visited the city of Boston, Massachusetts, on September 23rd and 24th.
The purpose of the mission to Boston was to promote Panama as a high-tech Hub, offering opportunities for partnerships between companies, public sector entities, research centers and academic programs in order to explore foreign markets and identify possible collaborative projects in research and development.
This information was shared in the Conference: “Innovative Business Opportunities in Panama: Promoting Innovation, Research and Education Collaboration Between Massachusetts and Panama” at the Microsoft New England R & D Center in Cambridge. Our speakers were: Nestor Gonzalez, Vice Minister of Foreign Trade; Jorge Motta, Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation; Irvin Halman, Secretary of AIG; Julio Escobar, CEO of Centauri Technologies; Jorge Arosemena, Executive President of the City of Knowledge; Manuel Lorenzo, Director of the Center for Innovation; and Roberto Melo, President of CAPATEC. The welcoming remarks were given by Richard Elam, Director of the Agency for International Trade in Massachusetts. Also, the Assistant Secretary of Commerce of the United States, Walter Bastian, spoke about the most important US actions to encourage innovation throughout the continent. The activity ended with a networking session between the event attendees and members of the Panamanian delegation.
The delegation also visited important institutions of Boston and Cambridge to get acquainted on the operation of public-private innovation ecosystem. Some of these are:
- The Governor of Massachusetts (State House): Collaboration channels have been established in order to encourage exchange between the academia, businesses, researchers and investors.
- MASSLIFESCIENCES: An entity that promotes Biosciences (bioinformatics, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical diagnostics and medical devices) in order to improve the health and wellbeing of the population.
- MIT Technology Review: MIT Communication Media that publishes news, analysis and opinion articles and videos, and performs consulting and annual conferences on global trends in ICT.
- Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems: Research and development laboratory that provides services for industry clients and government.
- MassChallenge: It is the world's largest accelerator for new enterprises; supports early-stage entrepreneurs with high impact.
The proposal of the City of Knowledge Foundation to carry out such missions corresponds to the mission of identifying and facilitating linkages and partnerships between national and international institutions, in order to promote human development through scientific, technological and humanistic knowledge.